US report on UP communal clashes a `conspiracy`: SP
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party on Thursday said that a recent US report on communal clashes was a "conspiracy" against Uttar Pradesh government to defame it in international media.
"It seems that some forces are trying to defame the state in international media and the mandate given to the SP. They are trying to create hurdle in development works being initiated in the state," SP spokesman Rajendra Chowdhury said here.
A recent US report, released by Secretary of State John Kerry, had stated that UP saw the maximum number of deaths in communal clashes in the country in 2013.
The US State Department in its annual
Congressional-mandated `International Religious Freedom Report` for 2013 had stated that UP experienced the highest number of deaths in communal unrest for the second consecutive year, including the 65 killed in communal violence in Muzaffarnagar.
Chowdhury said the SP government took strict action in Muzaffarnagar and Saharanpur, where tension erupted, and controlled the situation.
The government had also taken initiatives to give relief to the victims of the riots, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Three arrested for forcing Kerala nursing student to drink toilet cleaner
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners
- World doping watchdog WADA shuts down Rio Olympic lab
- 'What is the EU?' searches spike on Google after shattering Brexit vote
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer