US report on UP communal clashes a `conspiracy`: SP
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party on Thursday said that a recent US report on communal clashes was a "conspiracy" against Uttar Pradesh government to defame it in international media.
"It seems that some forces are trying to defame the state in international media and the mandate given to the SP. They are trying to create hurdle in development works being initiated in the state," SP spokesman Rajendra Chowdhury said here.
A recent US report, released by Secretary of State John Kerry, had stated that UP saw the maximum number of deaths in communal clashes in the country in 2013.
The US State Department in its annual
Congressional-mandated `International Religious Freedom Report` for 2013 had stated that UP experienced the highest number of deaths in communal unrest for the second consecutive year, including the 65 killed in communal violence in Muzaffarnagar.
Chowdhury said the SP government took strict action in Muzaffarnagar and Saharanpur, where tension erupted, and controlled the situation.
The government had also taken initiatives to give relief to the victims of the riots, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!