Uttar Pradesh: Absconding ex-SP MLA arrested
Allahabad: After being on the run for four
years, former Samajwadi Party MLA Ashraf, a prime accused in
the BSP legislator Raju Pal murder case, was arrested tonight
from Greater Noida.
"Ashraf was arrested by a team of Special Task Force of
UP police. He is being taken to Allahabad where he is wanted
in a number of cases," police spokesperson Rajiv Malhotra said
over phone from Lucknow.
The younger brother of former Samajwadi Party strongman
and MP Ateeq Ahmed, Ashraf had made his electoral debut from
Allahabad West assembly seat in the by-elections necessitated
by Pal`s murder in broad daylight on February 25, 2005.
Ashraf had won the seat, a stronghold of Ateeq before he
got elected to the Lok Sabha, defeating Pal`s young widow
Pooja but lost to her in the 2007 assembly polls which saw the
BSP coming to power in UP.
Though the brother duo had been out on bail in the murder
case, a number of other cases regarding threatening of
witnesses were lodged against them after Mayawati assumed
power in the state.
A local court subsequently declared them as absconders.
Ateeq was arrested by a Delhi police team in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown