Uttar Pradesh Congress, Pratapgarh incident, UP DSP killing, Zia-ul-Haq
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Congress on Wednesday demanded immediate arrest of all accused of Pratapgarh incident, including those named in the FIR filed by the wife of the slain DSP Zia-ul-Haq.
Led by leader of the legislature party Pradip Mathur, a Congress delegation met Governor B L Joshi and submitted a memorandum in this regard, party members said.
The delegation also drew Joshi`s attention to the "rise in criminal activities, including over a dozen communal clashes, during the 10-month SP rule in UP", they said.
Claiming that there is an attempt to destroy evidence in the Pratapgarh violence so that the guilty can escape, the Congress members said the government is saving the criminals and the arrests are being made in a discriminating manner.
Haq was killed by a mob in Pratapgarh on March 2 when he had rushed there during the course of his duty after a village head was shot dead over a land dispute.
His wife had alleged that her husband was killed at the behest of Kunda MLA Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiya.
She also named three others in her police complaint.
Raja Bhaiya on Monday resigned from his post of Food and Civil Supplies minister after his name cropped up in the killing.
The UP Police had yesterday ruled out immediate arrest of Raja Bhaiya, saying it needs to be established first who committed the crime before the conspiracy angle can be probed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan