Uttar Pradesh cops caught on tape slapping, abusing women
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: In yet another incident, which is sure to bring in huge criticism to the Uttar Pradesh government, the state police Monday night was seen ruthlessly beating the women protesters in Firozabad.
It is being reported that women were protesting against an accident at NH-2 when the UP police lathi-charged them to clear the highway.
The cops were seen beating the women with lathis, slapping and even kicking them.
Meanwhile, National Commission for Women chairperson Mamta Sharma speaking to Zee Media said that she would speak to the Police Commissioner regarding the incident.
The NCW chief said that she would demand strict action against the erring officials. Sharma blamed government and the police department`s insensitive attitude for such action against women.
The police have said that the action was taken to clear the jam.
Police officials, including SHO Sri Prakash Yadav were then caught on camera slapping and baton-charging the protesting women, while trying to clear the road.
When contacted, Superintendent of Police Rakesh Singh said an investigation is on and necessary action would be taken.
The Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party government, which is already facing huge criticism over Muzaffarangar riots, is suure to have a tough time in dousing down the incident.
In communal riots that broke out in September 2013, about 60 people died and nearly 50,000 people, mostly Muslims, fled their homes in fear. At least 40 children died after bitter cold set in with winter, as the flimsy tents the displaced lived in provided little protection.
The Uttar Pradesh government also faced flak for organising the fortnight-long Saifai Mahotsav, an extravaganza that the government said was an annual event to promote tourism, at Saifai in Etawah district, the native village of CM Akhilesh Yadav.
Not only this UP Cabinet minister and Muslim dominant face Azam Khan along with six other legislators at present are on a study tour to exotic locations in Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends