Uttar Pradesh: Curfew lifted from Moradabad city
Lucknow: Curfew was lifted from Uttar Pradesh`s Moradabad city on Sunday, over 10 days after it was imposed in parts of the city following a communal clash that left 12 people injured, an official said.
"The decision was taken at a meeting held Saturday night," Superintendent of Police (City) Piyush Srivastava said in Moradabad, some 250 km from Lucknow.
Curfew was clamped Aug 9 in areas under six police stations -- Katghar, Kotwali, Galshaheed, Mughalpura, Nagphani and Majhola -- after violence broke out in Dasarai locality following heated arguments between some Kanwariyas (Lord Shiva`s devotees) and local Muslims.
Members from both communities had resorted to firing, stone-pelting and fought pitched battles with the police. A police outpost and several vehicles were set afire.
According to police, over 50 people from both the communities have been arrested.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler