Uttar Pradesh: Curfew lifted from Moradabad city
Lucknow: Curfew was lifted from Uttar Pradesh`s Moradabad city on Sunday, over 10 days after it was imposed in parts of the city following a communal clash that left 12 people injured, an official said.
"The decision was taken at a meeting held Saturday night," Superintendent of Police (City) Piyush Srivastava said in Moradabad, some 250 km from Lucknow.
Curfew was clamped Aug 9 in areas under six police stations -- Katghar, Kotwali, Galshaheed, Mughalpura, Nagphani and Majhola -- after violence broke out in Dasarai locality following heated arguments between some Kanwariyas (Lord Shiva`s devotees) and local Muslims.
Members from both communities had resorted to firing, stone-pelting and fought pitched battles with the police. A police outpost and several vehicles were set afire.
According to police, over 50 people from both the communities have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...