Uttar Pradesh district tense after Muharram clashes
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh`s Bhadohi district was tense Tuesday following clashes between Hindus and Muslims during a Muharram procession that left at least 10 people injured the day before, police said.
A group of Muslims, who were taking out a mourning procession Monday evening on the occasion of Muharram, had an altercation with Hindus of the Naibazar area in Bhadohi, some 250 km from here. Later, the altercation snowballed into a clash in which members of both groups threw stones at each other and vandalised property, a police official said.
"The Muslims alleged that some Hindus were not letting them take out the procession on the scheduled route," Deputy Superintendent of Police Param Hans told reporters in Bhadohi.
"After carrying out the burial ritual, the Muslims returned to the same area and again had heated arguments with Hindus of the locality, which is dominated by members of the Yadav community. Later, at around 11.30 p.m., members of both sides started stone pelting," he added.
Police said no one was seriously injured in the incident.
"The situation is still tense but under control. Heavy security deployment has been made in the district to prevent any untoward incident," Param Hans said.
Police are yet to make any arrest in connection with the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says