Uttar Pradesh faces power crisis
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh is facing power outages as two electricity generating units tripped Sunday, officials said Monday.
The state is facing severe crisis, the gravest in the last few years, as generation from state-owned units has gone down, officials said.
There is a wide gap of almost 2,000 MW between the demand and supply, said the UP Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL).
An official said they went ahead with overdrawing from the central pool after an approval from the chief minister`s office.
"We were left with little option as it was the festival of Raksha Bandhan and we could not have risked blackouts," the official told IANS.
One unit each at Obra and Parischa have stopped production due to technical glitches, leading to a serious power crisis, officials said.
The shortage of coal has further aggravated the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened