Uttar Pradesh faces power crisis
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh is facing power outages as two electricity generating units tripped Sunday, officials said Monday.
The state is facing severe crisis, the gravest in the last few years, as generation from state-owned units has gone down, officials said.
There is a wide gap of almost 2,000 MW between the demand and supply, said the UP Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL).
An official said they went ahead with overdrawing from the central pool after an approval from the chief minister`s office.
"We were left with little option as it was the festival of Raksha Bandhan and we could not have risked blackouts," the official told IANS.
One unit each at Obra and Parischa have stopped production due to technical glitches, leading to a serious power crisis, officials said.
The shortage of coal has further aggravated the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- AAP removes Punjab chief for alleged corruption
- Clinton says emails, foundation ties not a threat to her White House bid
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies