Uttar Pradesh faces power crisis
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh is facing power outages as two electricity generating units tripped Sunday, officials said Monday.
The state is facing severe crisis, the gravest in the last few years, as generation from state-owned units has gone down, officials said.
There is a wide gap of almost 2,000 MW between the demand and supply, said the UP Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL).
An official said they went ahead with overdrawing from the central pool after an approval from the chief minister`s office.
"We were left with little option as it was the festival of Raksha Bandhan and we could not have risked blackouts," the official told IANS.
One unit each at Obra and Parischa have stopped production due to technical glitches, leading to a serious power crisis, officials said.
The shortage of coal has further aggravated the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you