Uttar Pradesh faces power crisis
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh is facing power outages as two electricity generating units tripped Sunday, officials said Monday.
The state is facing severe crisis, the gravest in the last few years, as generation from state-owned units has gone down, officials said.
There is a wide gap of almost 2,000 MW between the demand and supply, said the UP Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL).
An official said they went ahead with overdrawing from the central pool after an approval from the chief minister`s office.
"We were left with little option as it was the festival of Raksha Bandhan and we could not have risked blackouts," the official told IANS.
One unit each at Obra and Parischa have stopped production due to technical glitches, leading to a serious power crisis, officials said.
The shortage of coal has further aggravated the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday