Uttar Pradesh girl fearing for life gets police protection
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday directed the police to give protection to an 18-year-old girl, who intends to marry a boy she loves against her family`s wishes, on the ground that her life is "under threat" from her parents.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ajay Garg asked DCP south Delhi and SSP Sultanpur in Uttar Pradesh to protect the girl from any untoward incident after her lawyer moved the court seeking protection on the apprehension that she may be killed.
Yesterday, her counsel Devjyoti Dey had moved court here for protection saying the UP local police were not paying heed to their request and the alleged victim was illegally detained at her father`s house there since August 23.
The court has directed UP police to file a status report on the issue by August 30, while directing the investigating officer (IO) to appear in person before it.
Though the girl is from UP, her plea for police protection was filed in a Delhi court as she resides in south Delhi.
The girl in her petition had said she was sent to UP by her parents for her marriage with an old man who is rich.
She refused to accept her parents` choice and expressed her desire to marry a Delhi-based boy she loves.
"The girl was tortured and beaten up badly," the petition stated. It also said that on August 19 she escaped from her village in UP and reached Delhi.
On reaching Delhi she went to lodged a complaint against her family members with the Sangam Vihar police station here, but the cops detained her and later intimated her father.
The lawyer said that instead of producing the girl before the court, the police handed over the victim to her father, who took her back to UP and locked her in their house.
"The girl is aware about the planning, preparation and intention of her parents regarding her honour killing," the petition said.
"In UP, the incident was reported to the Chief Minister, by Love Commandos, a voluntary organization which helps India`s lovebirds who want to marry for love," the counsel said in his submissions before the court and alleged that even the state government failed to take any action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information