Uttar Pradesh minister sacked
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Khadi and Village Industry Minister Raja Ram Pandey, who triggered a controversy by allegedly promising to get roads in Pratapgarh district constructed like cheeks of actresses Hema Malini and Madhuri Dixit, was on Saturday sacked.
"Governor B L Joshi in consultation with Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has relieved minister Raja Ram Pandey from his post from this evening," a notification signed by chief secretary Javed Usmani said.
The Chief Minister, who is already holding charge of 61 departments, has been given the additional charge of Khadi and Village industry.
During his visit to Pratapgarh yesterday, Pandey had allegedly said roads would be constructed like the cheeks of actresses Hema Malini and Madhuri Dixit.
The minister`s statement evoked sharp criticism from political parties and social organisations.
"Such a statement is unwarranted from a person occupying
an important and responsible post of a minister," BJP`s chief spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
This is not the first time Pandey has landed himself in trouble for making such remarks.
In February this year, the minister went overboard allegedly praising the beauty of a senior lady bureaucrat at a function in Sultanpur in her presence.
Pandey had also allegedly said that he was lucky the district also had a lady district magistrate the last time he was incharge of Sultanpur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?