Uttar Pradesh official tries to set himself afire
Lucknow: A government official tried to set himself on fire on Wednesday, accusing the state tourism minister of land grabbing, police said on Thursday.
The incident took place in Bijnor district where village development officer Manu Gaur doused himself in kerosene and was about to light fire when he was stopped.
Gaur has accused Tourism Minister Mool Chandra Chauhan and Samajwadi Party (SP) parliamentarian Yashveer Dhobi and their accomplices of forcibly occupying his agriculture land in Naurangabad village.
Having petitioned district officials but to no avail, the official took the extreme step.
He also alleged the Samajwadi Party leader wanted to grab 12 bighas of his land and accused the district officials of conniving with the powerful minister.
While a case has been registered against the official for attempted suicide, district officials said a departmental probe will be ordered. The minister`s office said the charges were baseless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price