Uttar Pradesh plans airport in Jhansi
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh has prepared a blue print to expand and develop Jhansi airport to open up the backward Bundelkhand, a region straddling both Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, for tourism.
"Development of Jhansi as a regular airport would not only facilitate easy access to Khajuraho (150 km away in Madhya Pradesh), but also give boost to tourism in and around Jhansi, which is the nerve centre of Bundelkhand," a senior official of the state civil aviation department said here on Friday.
According to Tourism Secretary Avanish Awasthi, "Jhansi is quite ideally located for tourists, both from Uttar Pradesh as well as Madhya Pradesh and commuting to places of tourist interest in the region would be certainly more convenient."
He said, "The existing airstrip (In Jhansi), that been there from the British days, was largely used for military purposes today".
Even though the clearance for development of Jhansi airstrip into a full-fledged airport was given by highest level in the state, the work is yet to commence.
"The task will begin with land acquisition, which itself is a long process. Therefore, it is rather difficult to say when would the new airport be ready," said a civil aviation department official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing