Uttar Pradesh plans airport in Jhansi
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh has prepared a blue print to expand and develop Jhansi airport to open up the backward Bundelkhand, a region straddling both Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, for tourism.
"Development of Jhansi as a regular airport would not only facilitate easy access to Khajuraho (150 km away in Madhya Pradesh), but also give boost to tourism in and around Jhansi, which is the nerve centre of Bundelkhand," a senior official of the state civil aviation department said here on Friday.
According to Tourism Secretary Avanish Awasthi, "Jhansi is quite ideally located for tourists, both from Uttar Pradesh as well as Madhya Pradesh and commuting to places of tourist interest in the region would be certainly more convenient."
He said, "The existing airstrip (In Jhansi), that been there from the British days, was largely used for military purposes today".
Even though the clearance for development of Jhansi airstrip into a full-fledged airport was given by highest level in the state, the work is yet to commence.
"The task will begin with land acquisition, which itself is a long process. Therefore, it is rather difficult to say when would the new airport be ready," said a civil aviation department official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Cristiano steps up to the rescue of "Criticism Ronaldo" at Euro 2016
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'