Uttar Pradesh: Rains claim 18 lives
Lucknow: As many as 18 people have lost their lives in rain-related incidents in parts of Uttar Pradesh where normal monsoon led to moderate to rather heavy rainfall at a few places in the past 24 hours.
Reports reaching here said 10 people perished in Gorakhpur followed by three each in Lakhimpur and Amethi and two in Basti in incidents like wall collapse.
Met office sources said the chief amount of rainfall recorded in cms was Baheri 10; Ghazipur, Mohammadi 5 each; Haidergarh, Birdghat, Beesalpur 4 each; Chatnag, Pratapgarh, Rigauli, Bansi, Padrauna, Baansdeeh, Turtipar, Deoband, Nawabganj and Saharanpur 3 each.
Rain and thundershowers are likely at a few places in the next 24 hours.
Meanwhile, Central Water Commission sources here said the Ganga was rising in Fatehgarh while it has crossed the red mark at Ballia, and Sharda was also flowing above the danger mark at Palia Kalan and Sharda Nagar (Kheri).
Ghaghra was rising at Ayodhya and Turtipar, where it was already above the red mark. Though there was no increase in it at Elgin Bridge, it was way above the red mark, and Quano was also flowing above the danger mark at Chandradeepghat.
Rapti was maintaining an upward trend at Bhinga, Bansi, Regoli and Birdghat as well, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren