Uttar Pradesh rivers in spate
Lucknow: Heavy rains lashing most parts of Uttar Pradesh have led to several major rivers swelling, raising the threat of floods in various districts, officials said on Friday.
Water levels in rivers like Ghagra, Saryu, Sharda, Mohani and Karnali have been witnessing a rising trend. However, they are still below their respective danger marks.
While Ghagra is in spate in Bahraich and Gonda districts, water level in Sharda and Saryu rivers is increasing in Lakhimpur Kheri and Faizabad districts, respectively.
"Taking into account the rise in the water level of Ghagra and from safety point of view, we have already started evacuating low-lying areas along the bank of the river. Local residents are being taken to safer places," Bahraich District Magistrate Govind Raju NS said.
Additional District Magistrate Lakhimpur Tulsi Ram said: "Though the situation is not alarming, we have started taking preemptive measures to avert any untoward incident."
"We have already issued a warning to residents of several villages along the banks of the river to move to higher places," he added.
Parts of Uttar Pradesh have been witnessing heavy rains since Wednesday. According to state met department, such weather conditions would continue to prevail at least for the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!