Uttar Pradesh shocker: 2 sisters gang-raped, hanged from tree; 4 arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Badaun: Four people, including a constable, accused in the gang-rape and murder of two minor girls in Uttar Pradesh, were arrested on Thursday.
The police constable has been identified as Sarvesh Yadav.
The National Commission for Women has, meanwhile, taken a suo moto cognisance and decided to send a team here to probe into the gruesome case.
"We have taken suo moto cognisance of the gangrape. An enquiry committee has been set up and will be sent there for further investigations into the case. We are waiting the Action Taken report and only after that we can see what needs to be done. Right now we have no information about any arrests made in the case," National Commission for Women chairperson Mamata Sharma told a news agency.
Describing the case as "gruesome", she said strict action would be taken based on the inquiry.
She said an enquiry committee will be sent in a day or two to look into the matter.
Two teenage sisters were allegedly gang-raped and later hanged from a tree in Katra village here, police said on Wednesday.
The two cousins had gone missing from their house on Tuesday night, following which their bodies were found hanging from a mango tree in the village on Wednesday morning in Ushait area here.
The girls were aged between 14 and 15 years.
As soon as the news spread, villagers gathered on the spot and alleged involvement of one police constables and four others in the incident.
The villagers also alleged that the girls were first gang-raped and then hanged from the tree.
The incident triggered protests in the area with villagers alleging police apathy following which an FIR was registered against seven persons, including constables Sarvesh Yadav and Rakshapal Yadav, who were suspended.
They also demanded a visit by the state Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to the village in this connection.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai