Uttar Pradesh shocker: 2 sisters gang-raped, hanged from tree; 4 arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Badaun: Four people, including a constable, accused in the gang-rape and murder of two minor girls in Uttar Pradesh, were arrested on Thursday.
The police constable has been identified as Sarvesh Yadav.
The National Commission for Women has, meanwhile, taken a suo moto cognisance and decided to send a team here to probe into the gruesome case.
"We have taken suo moto cognisance of the gangrape. An enquiry committee has been set up and will be sent there for further investigations into the case. We are waiting the Action Taken report and only after that we can see what needs to be done. Right now we have no information about any arrests made in the case," National Commission for Women chairperson Mamata Sharma told a news agency.
Describing the case as "gruesome", she said strict action would be taken based on the inquiry.
She said an enquiry committee will be sent in a day or two to look into the matter.
Two teenage sisters were allegedly gang-raped and later hanged from a tree in Katra village here, police said on Wednesday.
The two cousins had gone missing from their house on Tuesday night, following which their bodies were found hanging from a mango tree in the village on Wednesday morning in Ushait area here.
The girls were aged between 14 and 15 years.
As soon as the news spread, villagers gathered on the spot and alleged involvement of one police constables and four others in the incident.
The villagers also alleged that the girls were first gang-raped and then hanged from the tree.
The incident triggered protests in the area with villagers alleging police apathy following which an FIR was registered against seven persons, including constables Sarvesh Yadav and Rakshapal Yadav, who were suspended.
They also demanded a visit by the state Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to the village in this connection.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray