Uttar Pradesh spends Rs 120 cr to protect VIPs
Lucknow: With security often seen as a status symbol, the Uttar Pradesh government is spending a whopping Rs120 crores in public money a year to provide security cover to around 1,500 VIPs of different hues, deploying as many as 2,913 police officials, officials records show.
Inspector General of Police (Law & Order) Badri Prasad Singh admitted that 1,476 VIPs (very important persons) were being given security based on "pre-emptive threat perception".
"Police does a security check of the threat perception to a person who has applied for security from the state and thereafter the home department approves it," Singh told a news agency.
Those on VIP security duty include constables, head constables, gunners and sub-inspectors. The government was spending over Rs.120 crore on this security cover every year, said officials.
Officials however privately admit that the cover to "so-called" VIPs is "always and largely a political decision" and there is little police officers and bureaucrats can do about it.
"Security has become somewhat of an obsession and status symbol and people arm-twist their way through the government system," Vikram Singh, a former director general of police, told the news agency.
Government sources say more than 10,000 applications requesting security cover are pending before the home department and the officials are at their wits` end handling them.
They point out that the "craze for `sarkari suraksha` (state security)" is bigger under the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP).
"With the state hard-pressed for police, the situation is sad. Crime rate is soaring and people are looking for better security mechanism," said a police officer.
Security cover taken away from civil police force impeded not only routine policing but also burnt a hole into the state`s coffers, the officer said.
The highest number of VIPs are in state capital Lucknow (232) followed by Allahabad (109), Noida (60), Kanpur, Etawah and Mainpuri.
These numbers are other than special protectees such as central government ministers, former chief ministers and political leaders.
Former Uttar Pradesh Police chief K.L. Gupta said that according to international norms set by the United Nations, police ratio per 100,000 population was 200 while in the state, it was merely 132.
"In such circumstances, if police is split between VIPs and commoners, maintaining law and order and checking crimes are just not possible," Gupta told the agency.
Besides SP MPs and legislators, security is being provided to many party workers and office-bearers, even as party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav has aired his displeasure at the "mad run for VIP culture" and reprimanded workers for "hankering for beacon lights, sirens, party flags and security cover".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon