Uttar Pradesh to check mid-day meals` quality
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government decided to scrutinise food being served to students in schools here on Thursday, two days after 23 students died after eating contaminated meal in a Bihar school.
In the first phase, mid-day meal coordinators will visit schools in all six districts of Lucknow on a monthly basis.
A detailed letter issued by Mahendra Singh Rana, divisional additional director (education), said all the basic education officers have been asked to step up checking and verification of mid-day meals being provided at primary schools.
Each coordinator has been asked to visit at least four schools every month and ensure that the food being given is hygienic, uncontaminated and fresh.
Orders have also been given that students not be given the meal until a teacher or manager of the school tastes the food.
Rana said that while the Bihar tragedy had spurred them into reactivation of scrutiny of the mid-day meal, they have been cautious to ensure quality food is given to students.
"The department is always careful that there is no compromise on the quality of food and from time to time, we check the food," he said.
In Uttar Pradesh, a Mid Day Meal Authority was formed in 2006. Under the scheme, rice products are served four days a week and wheat items given on the remaining two days to the children.
Under the scheme, 116,107 primary schools with 14,255,482 students and 53,499 higher primary schools having 6,087,620 children in the state are enrolled and served the mid-day meal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’