Uttar Pradesh to check mid-day meals` quality
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government decided to scrutinise food being served to students in schools here on Thursday, two days after 23 students died after eating contaminated meal in a Bihar school.
In the first phase, mid-day meal coordinators will visit schools in all six districts of Lucknow on a monthly basis.
A detailed letter issued by Mahendra Singh Rana, divisional additional director (education), said all the basic education officers have been asked to step up checking and verification of mid-day meals being provided at primary schools.
Each coordinator has been asked to visit at least four schools every month and ensure that the food being given is hygienic, uncontaminated and fresh.
Orders have also been given that students not be given the meal until a teacher or manager of the school tastes the food.
Rana said that while the Bihar tragedy had spurred them into reactivation of scrutiny of the mid-day meal, they have been cautious to ensure quality food is given to students.
"The department is always careful that there is no compromise on the quality of food and from time to time, we check the food," he said.
In Uttar Pradesh, a Mid Day Meal Authority was formed in 2006. Under the scheme, rice products are served four days a week and wheat items given on the remaining two days to the children.
Under the scheme, 116,107 primary schools with 14,255,482 students and 53,499 higher primary schools having 6,087,620 children in the state are enrolled and served the mid-day meal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing