Uttar Pradesh to check mid-day meals` quality
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government decided to scrutinise food being served to students in schools here on Thursday, two days after 23 students died after eating contaminated meal in a Bihar school.
In the first phase, mid-day meal coordinators will visit schools in all six districts of Lucknow on a monthly basis.
A detailed letter issued by Mahendra Singh Rana, divisional additional director (education), said all the basic education officers have been asked to step up checking and verification of mid-day meals being provided at primary schools.
Each coordinator has been asked to visit at least four schools every month and ensure that the food being given is hygienic, uncontaminated and fresh.
Orders have also been given that students not be given the meal until a teacher or manager of the school tastes the food.
Rana said that while the Bihar tragedy had spurred them into reactivation of scrutiny of the mid-day meal, they have been cautious to ensure quality food is given to students.
"The department is always careful that there is no compromise on the quality of food and from time to time, we check the food," he said.
In Uttar Pradesh, a Mid Day Meal Authority was formed in 2006. Under the scheme, rice products are served four days a week and wheat items given on the remaining two days to the children.
Under the scheme, 116,107 primary schools with 14,255,482 students and 53,499 higher primary schools having 6,087,620 children in the state are enrolled and served the mid-day meal.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Lenovo ZUK Z1 to be launched in India on May 10
- Research for 'Veerappan' took 15 years: Ram Gopal Varma
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016