Uttar Pradesh tops list of child rape cases
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh tops the list of
States and Union Territories with the highest number of 900
child rape cases in 2008 followed by Madhya Pradesh and
According to the latest data by the Ministry of Home
Affairs for three years, cases of child rape continue to rise
as a total of 4,721 cases were registered during 2006, 5,045
in 2007 and 5,446 in 2008 across the country.
Police have arrested 5,489 people in 2006 for their
involvement in such crimes, 5,756 in 2007 and 6,363 in 2008.
Madhya Pradesh registered 892 such cases, Maharashtra
(690), Rajasthan (420) and Andhra Pradesh (412) in 2008, the
A total of 411 such cases were registered in
Chhattisgarh, 301 in Delhi, 215 in Kerala, 187 in Tamil Nadu,
129 in West Bengal, 106 in Punjab and 104 in Tripura, it said.
Whereas, Gujarat has registered 99 cases, Karnataka 97,
Bihar 91, Haryana 70, Himachal Pradesh 68, Orissa 65 and Goa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- World's largest pearl to be displayed in Philippines
- India, US prepare blueprint for multi-agency centre to tackle terror activities
- Actor-politician Ramya refuses to apologise for 'Pakistan is not hell' remark
- Pakistan briefs China on alleged human rights violations in Kashmir Valley
- Russia loses appeal against Paralympics ban in Rio next month