Uttarakhand HC upholds life term for Amarmani Tripathi
Nainital: The Uttarakhand High Court on Monday upheld the life imprisonment awarded to former Samajwadi Party MLA Amarmani Tripathi and others accused in poetess Madhumita Shukla murder case.
Pronouncing its decision, the High Court said that no relief can be granted to Amarmani or any other accused since their role in Madhumita Shukla’s murder has been proved by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Amarmani Tripathi, his wife Madhumani and two others were convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment by a Dehradun court in 2007 for hatching a conspiracy and killing Shukla in Lucknow in 2003.
The investigations revealed that the poetess was pregnant when she was murdered.
Today’s ruling is a big setback for Tripathi, who has made several attempts in past to get bail to be able to contest state Assembly and Lok Sabha elections.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city