Varanasi blast: CM Mayawati holds emergency meet
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mayawati held an emergency meeting of senior government
officials here on Tuesday night after a blast shook the temple town of
Varanasi killing a child and injuring 20 people.
She rushed a team of officials, besides BSP state unit
president Swami Prasad Maurya to Varanasi directing them to
monitor the relief measures and treatment of the injured
persons at government expenditure, an official statement said.
Besides directing the officials to investigate the
matter thoroughly, she asked them to take stern action against
those found guilty, the statement said.
Condemning the blast and expressing grief over the death
of a two-year-old child in the incident, she appealed the
people to maintain peace and brotherhood and repulse the
designs of anti-national elements.
The Chief Minister also directed the officials to make an
assessment of the losses for extending proper financial help
to the victims.
Opposition Samajwadi Party President Mulayam Singh Yadav
meanwhile said the incident was a result of the government`s
"The prime duty of the state government is to ensure the
security of life and property of its people but due to the
inefficiency of the government, it has been jeopardised,"
Yadav said in a statement.
"The Ganga ghat in Varanasi is most sensitive but the
state government has been found wanting in ensuring security
there," he said describing the government as "insensitive".
State unit president of the BJP, Surya Pratap Shahi, who
went to the spot, said the terror attack was the result of the
"appeasement" policy being pursued by the state government.
"Both the Congress and BSP in power at the Centre and the
state have failed to give a firm message to terrorists and
disruptive elements," Shahi said.
In a statement, UPCC spokesman Subodh Srivasatava asked
the government to take stern action against those who failed
to ensure security in Varanasi leading to today`s incident.
"Despite tall claims, the state government has failed to
foil the designs of the terrorists on the anniversary of Babri
mosque demolition," Srivasatava added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?