Varanasi citizens file FIRs against polluting Gang
Lucknow: In a first, citizens of Varanasi Friday lodged police complaints against "unknown" people for polluting the Ganga.
The first information reports (FIRs) were lodged at the Lanka police station by Varanasi citizens led by Vashishtha Narayan, Ram Shri and Prakash Upadhyaya.
Circle Officer (CO) of Bhelupur, D.P. Shukla told reporters that the reports were lodged under sections 277/279 of the Environment Conservation Act, 1986. against "unknown people".
"Three different FIRs have been lodged at different times, but on the same issue," the police official said, adding that they were looking into the matter.
Appropriate penal action would be taken against those found guilty, the police official said.
The citizens have pointed to inlets into the river at different places, through which untreated and toxic effluents are being pumped into the river, causing major pollution. Not only this, the FIRs say, people are also dumping garbage and other waste material into the river.
Activists working on Ganga pollution pointed out that this is the first time that such pro-active action is being initiated by citizens.
"While there have been cases where complaints have been lodged with the policemen by organisations and NGOs, this is the first time that people have taken up cudgels on behalf of the Ganga themselves," said Vikas Maheshwari, a Ganga conservation activist.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi