Varanasi citizens file FIRs against polluting Gang
Lucknow: In a first, citizens of Varanasi Friday lodged police complaints against "unknown" people for polluting the Ganga.
The first information reports (FIRs) were lodged at the Lanka police station by Varanasi citizens led by Vashishtha Narayan, Ram Shri and Prakash Upadhyaya.
Circle Officer (CO) of Bhelupur, D.P. Shukla told reporters that the reports were lodged under sections 277/279 of the Environment Conservation Act, 1986. against "unknown people".
"Three different FIRs have been lodged at different times, but on the same issue," the police official said, adding that they were looking into the matter.
Appropriate penal action would be taken against those found guilty, the police official said.
The citizens have pointed to inlets into the river at different places, through which untreated and toxic effluents are being pumped into the river, causing major pollution. Not only this, the FIRs say, people are also dumping garbage and other waste material into the river.
Activists working on Ganga pollution pointed out that this is the first time that such pro-active action is being initiated by citizens.
"While there have been cases where complaints have been lodged with the policemen by organisations and NGOs, this is the first time that people have taken up cudgels on behalf of the Ganga themselves," said Vikas Maheshwari, a Ganga conservation activist.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog