Varansi blasts: Centre cautions UP govt on withdrawing cases
New Delhi: The Centre on Tuesday cautioned the Uttar Pradesh government of any move to withdraw cases against suspects of the 2006 Varanasi blasts, saying even an "iota of evidence" against terrorists would set a "bad precedent".
Union Minister of State for Home R P N Singh also hoped that Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav would go through the files of the suspects in the case before taking any such step.
"In any case, that is the Government of Uttar Pradesh taking view on that. I haven`t reviewed those cases. If there is some kind of recommendation that come from Uttar Pradesh, be it any terrorist case, if there is an iota of evidence against any terrorist, I think that would set a bad precedent," he told reporters here.
"...And I am sure that the Chief Minister has taken everything into view and gone through the file before he takes any such step," the Minister said.
Singh was responding to questions on the UP government seeking permission from the Allahabad High Court to withdraw cases against two suspects of 2006 Varanasi serial blasts which had claimed 25 lives.
Last week, the high court had lashed out at the Uttar Pradesh government`s move to withdraw terror charges against those accused in the Varanasi serial blasts.
The Akhilesh government had earlier written to district magistrates of Lucknow, Faizabad, Gorakhpur, Varanasi and Rampur, asking if there was sufficient evidence to prosecute suspects in the 2006 serial blasts and other terror attacks in the state.
In its election manifesto, the Samajwadi Party had promised to review charges against terror suspects to prevent the harassment of innocents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are