Varun Gandhi exonerated in 2009 hate speech case
Pilibhit: In a major relief for BJP Member of Parliament (MP) from Pilibhit Varun Gandhi, a local court on Wednesday acquitted him in one of the hate speech cases.
Hearing into another case is scheduled to take place on March 1.
Welcoming the verdict, Varun Gandhi thanked the people of UP and Pilibhit who elected him.
"I welcome the decision of the honourable court that upholds my commitment to a strong and united India," Mr Gandhi tweeted after the ruling.
Varun Gandhi had reportedly made inflammatory remarks against Muslims in Pilibhit in the run-up to the 2009 Lok Sabha elections.
Varun was booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the People`s Representative Act for "promoting enmity" and acts "prejudicial to maintenance of harmony",
However, he strongly denied the charges, claiming that in one instance he was referring to bad elements and in the second one, the tapes have been doctored.
Varun Gandhi, great-grandson of the country`s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru, won the Lok Sabha election from the Pilibhit seat.
The young BJP leader has been accused by then chief minister Mayawati and her government of promoting enmity between groups on the grounds of religion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Over 80 percent of world's city dwellers breathe polluted air: WHO
- CBSE class 10 results 2016 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class X Results, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 PM
- 'Third Front' leaders attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in as West Bengal CM; 42 ministers take oath
- Panasonic launches 4G VoLTE smartphone Eluga A2 at Rs 9,490
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis reach 3rd round in French Open