VHP demands sacking of Shinde, death penalty for rapists
Allahabad: The VHP on Thursday passed a number of resolutions at the Maha Kumbh here today, demanding sacking of Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde for his `Hindu terror` remarks and sought death penalty for rapists.
At its `dharm sansad` at the Kumbh congregation in presence of seers and ascetics of various orders, the VHP also sought measures for preservation of river Ganga and ban on cow slaughter.
Blaming the Congress for militancy in Punjab, the growth of Naxalism and insurgency in the northeast besides accusing the party of "promoting the LTTE", the VHP also termed the anti-Sikh riots of 1984 as "the biggest terror-related event in the history of India".
"The prime minister should immediately sack Shinde and apologise to the nation for the calumny by a member of his cabinet," it said in one of its resolutions, adding "all false cases lodged against Hindus because of vote bank politics be immediately withdrawn" and "a uniform civil code be put in place so that all citizens are treated as equals".
The Sangh Parivar outfit expressed deep concern over the growing incidence of crimes against women "at a time when members of the fair sex are holding high offices like the Speaker of the Lok Sabha and the Leader of the Opposition".
In its resolution on the issue, the VHP demanded "full implementation" of the recommendations of the Verma Committee but advocated "suitable amendments so that all those who are found guilty of rape are awarded death penalty".
Demanding that the legal age limit for a juvenile be lowered to 16 years from 18 years, the pro-Hindu outfit made a strong pitch for changes in the current education system "in which values are being ignored in the name of secularism".
The VHP also made a vehement demand for "a central law whereby a complete country-wide ban is imposed on cow slaughter" and asked the government to "bring in a sound constitutional measure" to ensure adequate quantity of pure water in the Ganga, failing which "seers of the country will be compelled to take harsh decisions".
The `dharm sansad` was preceded by a sant sammelan and was attended, among others, by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat, VHP stalwarts Ashok Singhal and Praveen Togadia and Ram Janmabhoomi Nyas chief Mahant Nritya Gopal Das and Kanchi Shankaracharya Swami Jayendra Saraswati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!