VHP supporters move Allahabad HC against parish meet
Allahabad: Allahabad High Court on Tuesday asked the Uttar Pradesh government counsel to seek instructions on a PIL filed by Vishwa Hindu Parishad supporters against an event being organised by Christian missionaries here which, it has been alleged, would see attempts being made to proselytise the participants.
A Division Bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Sheo Kumar Singh and Justice Brijesh Kumar Srivastava passed the order on the writ petition filed by Akhil Bharatiya Samajik Samrasta Abhiyan through its state secretary, Pawan Srivastava.
The said event, which will be marked by a parish seminar, is scheduled to be held between Oct. 23-27 at the sprawling KP College grounds here.
Organised by the city-based Pastor Daniel Masih, one of the highlights of the event is an address by renowned evangelist Peter Youngren, who is likely to be flown in from Canada.
"Youngren has been behind the conversion of close to a million people from other faiths to Christianity and a similar attempt may be made by him here which could cause law and order problems," the petitioners said.
The matter will come up for another hearing tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Housing sales decline 2.2% to 1.58 lakh units in FY16
- Gold price to zoom to Rs 33,500 levels by 2016-end: Experts
- Don't panic, British economic fundamentals are strong: Business Secretary
- Monetary committee rules to be notified in few weeks: Economic Affairs Secretary
- Lucky escape for Goa mayor, six others as boat capsizes