VHP to go ahead with 84-Kosi yatra, over 330 activists held
Lucknow: In a crackdown on VHP on the eve of its controversial yatra, 339 people including a BJP MLA have been taken into custody or placed under house arrest by the UP government, even as the outfit today vowed to go ahead with the march defying a ban.
BJP MLA Savitri Bai Phule in Bahraich and VHP`s provincial coordinator Acharya Kushmuni were placed under house arrest as a precautionary measure.
Santosh Baba alias Sattu Baba, provincial coordinator of VHP Acharya Kushmuni, district level office bearer Acharya Shantanu and Pawan Srivastava were put under house arrest in Varanasi, a senior police official said.
In Amethi, `peethdheshwar` of Sagra Ashram Abhay Chaitanya Mauni Mahraj was also put under house arrest.
The preventive arrests were made by the authorities, who are fearing communal flare up in the area due to the VHP`s proposed `Chaurasi Kosi Parikrama`, which was banned by the state government.
The ban was today upheld by the Allahabad High Court also.
Meanwhile, the VHP, which held a meeting after the High Court verdict earlier this morning, has resolved to go ahead with the yatra at the scheduled time from tomorrow .
"There is no change in the programme and it would start as per the schedule from the Saryu ghat tomorrow after the puja archana," VHP spokesman Sharad Sharma told PTI.
The arrests were made in different parts of the state.
75 persons were arrested in Faizabad, 46 in Agra, 100 from Kanpur city, 17 in Fatehpur, 18 from Basti, 7 in Jaunpur, 35 in Kanpur Dehat and 43 in Allahabad, home department spokesman said in Lucknow.
Elaborate arrangements have been made throughout the state, specially in the six districts through which the yatra would pass, with section 144 being put into force.
Other district authorities have also been asked to take steps so that law and order is not disturbed.
Principal Secretary (Home), RM Srivastava held video conference with police officers of the six districts and took stock of the situation, besides giving them directives to maintain utmost vigil in their areas and accord required respect to those who are being arrested as a precautionary measure.
DGP Devraj Nagar said that officials of the six districts have been asked to "strongly impose the ban" on the yatra.
"The DGPs of the adjoining states have been asked to inform in case people from there try to come to take part in this yatra," Nagar said adding that intelligence units and other agencies have been instructed to promptly inform in case of any wrong activity in their areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins