VHP`s yatra: Vedanti detained, DM says forces on high alert
Ayodhya/Lucknow: Senior VHP leader Ram Vilas Vedanti was detained in Ayodhya today when he tried to participate in "Panch-Kosi Parikrama" which was banned by the Faizabad administration.
Vedanti was detained when he tried to step out of the Karsevak Puram in Ayodhya to take part in the VHP`s yatra, UP IGP (Law & Order) R K Vishkarma told reporters in Lucknow.
The "Panch-Kosi Parikrama" in an organised manner had been banned by the Faizabad District Magistrate on the basis of SSP`s report, he said.
However, there was no ban on pilgrims and saints undertaking it at an individual level, the IGP said.
A group of saints, scheduled to participate in the Parikrama, cancelled their visit to Ayodhya after district administration informed them about the ban, he said.
In Ayodhya, some VHP activists inside Karsevak Puram performed some religious rituals.
Earlier in the morning, a group of Sadhus, hailing from Andhra Pradesh, performed the Panch-Kosi Parikrama in the holy town.
However, Shiv Swami, the leader of the group, said "our Parikrama has no connection with the VHP."
Faizabad DM Vipin Kumar Dwivedi said "security forces are on high alert. Our aim is to maintain communal harmony and peace."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed