Vidarbha farmers, widows to fast tomorrow on delayed rain woes
Nagpur: Farmers and widows of suicide affected families in Vidarbha would be observing a day-long fast tomorrow at Pandharkawada in Yavatmal district, to draw the attention of authorities to the distress due to delayed rains in the region.
According to Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti President Kishore Tiwari, farmers are demanding free seeds and fertilisers and fresh crop loan as the situation was going from bad to worse due to lack of rains.
Even after second and third sowing, there was no drop of rain, which has led to growing tension and anxiety among the farming community.
Vidarbha region had already earned a dubious name for record number of farmers` suicide due to crop failure and indebtedness, Tiwari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured