Vidarbha farmers, widows to fast tomorrow on delayed rain woes
Nagpur: Farmers and widows of suicide affected families in Vidarbha would be observing a day-long fast tomorrow at Pandharkawada in Yavatmal district, to draw the attention of authorities to the distress due to delayed rains in the region.
According to Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti President Kishore Tiwari, farmers are demanding free seeds and fertilisers and fresh crop loan as the situation was going from bad to worse due to lack of rains.
Even after second and third sowing, there was no drop of rain, which has led to growing tension and anxiety among the farming community.
Vidarbha region had already earned a dubious name for record number of farmers` suicide due to crop failure and indebtedness, Tiwari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf