Vidarbha farmers, widows to fast tomorrow on delayed rain woes
Nagpur: Farmers and widows of suicide affected families in Vidarbha would be observing a day-long fast tomorrow at Pandharkawada in Yavatmal district, to draw the attention of authorities to the distress due to delayed rains in the region.
According to Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti President Kishore Tiwari, farmers are demanding free seeds and fertilisers and fresh crop loan as the situation was going from bad to worse due to lack of rains.
Even after second and third sowing, there was no drop of rain, which has led to growing tension and anxiety among the farming community.
Vidarbha region had already earned a dubious name for record number of farmers` suicide due to crop failure and indebtedness, Tiwari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate