Vidarbha farmers, widows to fast tomorrow on delayed rain woes
Nagpur: Farmers and widows of suicide affected families in Vidarbha would be observing a day-long fast tomorrow at Pandharkawada in Yavatmal district, to draw the attention of authorities to the distress due to delayed rains in the region.
According to Vidarbha Janandolan Samiti President Kishore Tiwari, farmers are demanding free seeds and fertilisers and fresh crop loan as the situation was going from bad to worse due to lack of rains.
Even after second and third sowing, there was no drop of rain, which has led to growing tension and anxiety among the farming community.
Vidarbha region had already earned a dubious name for record number of farmers` suicide due to crop failure and indebtedness, Tiwari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter