Vidhan Parishad polls: Voting rights of nominated members challenged
Allahabad: A petition has been filed in the
Allahabad High Court challenging voting rights of nominated
members of civic bodies for elections to the State Legislative
Council in Uttar Pradesh due later this week.
The petition has been filed by Ram Pujan Patel, the
Samajwadi Party nominee from Allahabad-Kaushambi (local
authority) constituency, who has claimed that as per the
Constitution, only elected members of civic bodies like Nagar
Panchayat, Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Nigam can cast
their votes in the elections for the Vidhan Parishad.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing in a day or
Voting for the Vidhan Parishad elections is scheduled for
January 7 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez