Vidhan Parishad polls: Voting rights of nominated members challenged
Allahabad: A petition has been filed in the
Allahabad High Court challenging voting rights of nominated
members of civic bodies for elections to the State Legislative
Council in Uttar Pradesh due later this week.
The petition has been filed by Ram Pujan Patel, the
Samajwadi Party nominee from Allahabad-Kaushambi (local
authority) constituency, who has claimed that as per the
Constitution, only elected members of civic bodies like Nagar
Panchayat, Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Nigam can cast
their votes in the elections for the Vidhan Parishad.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing in a day or
Voting for the Vidhan Parishad elections is scheduled for
January 7 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Summer health tips: How to stay energetic throughout the day!
- China reacts to PM Modi, says wants 'mutually acceptable solution to issues with India'
- Ravi Shastri accuses Sourav Ganguly of being disrespectful during the interview process
- China: 131 admitted to hospital after leak at chemical factory
- Class 12 toppers scam: Bihar School Examination Board clerk arrested