Vidhan Parishad polls: Voting rights of nominated members challenged
Allahabad: A petition has been filed in the
Allahabad High Court challenging voting rights of nominated
members of civic bodies for elections to the State Legislative
Council in Uttar Pradesh due later this week.
The petition has been filed by Ram Pujan Patel, the
Samajwadi Party nominee from Allahabad-Kaushambi (local
authority) constituency, who has claimed that as per the
Constitution, only elected members of civic bodies like Nagar
Panchayat, Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Nigam can cast
their votes in the elections for the Vidhan Parishad.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing in a day or
Voting for the Vidhan Parishad elections is scheduled for
January 7 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi