Vidhan Parishad polls: Voting rights of nominated members challenged
Allahabad: A petition has been filed in the
Allahabad High Court challenging voting rights of nominated
members of civic bodies for elections to the State Legislative
Council in Uttar Pradesh due later this week.
The petition has been filed by Ram Pujan Patel, the
Samajwadi Party nominee from Allahabad-Kaushambi (local
authority) constituency, who has claimed that as per the
Constitution, only elected members of civic bodies like Nagar
Panchayat, Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Nigam can cast
their votes in the elections for the Vidhan Parishad.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing in a day or
Voting for the Vidhan Parishad elections is scheduled for
January 7 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video