Vidhan Parishad polls: Voting rights of nominated members challenged
Allahabad: A petition has been filed in the
Allahabad High Court challenging voting rights of nominated
members of civic bodies for elections to the State Legislative
Council in Uttar Pradesh due later this week.
The petition has been filed by Ram Pujan Patel, the
Samajwadi Party nominee from Allahabad-Kaushambi (local
authority) constituency, who has claimed that as per the
Constitution, only elected members of civic bodies like Nagar
Panchayat, Nagar Palika Parishad and Nagar Nigam can cast
their votes in the elections for the Vidhan Parishad.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing in a day or
Voting for the Vidhan Parishad elections is scheduled for
January 7 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS