Vikas Yadav may escape if granted bail: Police
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Thursday opposed
the bail plea of Vikas Yadav in the Delhi high Court saying
he might escape if allowed to get out of jail to attend his
sister Bharati`s wedding.
"There would be more than two thousand people
attending the marriage and the ceremony is spreading over
three states of Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh. We have a
serious apprehension that he might escape from the place as
it would be difficult for us to keep an eye on each visitor,"
the Delhi Police told the Court here.
"We do not know who are the people attending the
marriage and a section of them might take him away even when
the convict is released on custodial parole. We can`t control
and put restrictions on their events," the police said .
Vikas, son of controversial Uttar Pradesh politician D
P Yadav, pleaded he has every right to maintain his family
ties despite being in jail and he should be allowed interim
"I am moving this court after seven years in jail. I
should not be judged by what I did seven years back. I am a
changed person and my record in jail is very good," senior
advocate U U Lalit, appearing for Vikas, said.
The bail appeal was also opposed by the victim`s
mother Neelam Katara who pleaded with the court not to grant
interim bail as there would be threat to her life if Vikas
comes out of jail.
A division bench headed by Justice Anil Kumar reserved
its order on Vikas` plea after hearing contentions of all
Vikas had sought three month`s interim bail to attend
the function and perform the ritual as the bride`s elder
brother during the ceremony which is scheduled for November 1.
On May 28 last year, Vikas and his cousin Vishal were
convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for killing
Nitish Katara, a son of an IAS officer, in 2002 as they
opposed Katara`s intimacy with Bharati.
Their appeal against the trial court verdict is
pending before the High Court.
Vikas has also been convicted in ramp model Jessica
Lal murder case and sentenced to four years of imprisonment by
the Delhi High Court for destruction of evidence.
Vikas and his cousin Vishal killed Katara on the
intervening night of February 17-18, 2002, after kidnapping
him from a marriage party in Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez