Villager killed, cop injured in police raid
Mathura: One person was killed and a policeman critically injured when a Special Operations Group (SOG) team carried out a raid in a village here in the wee hours of Thursday to arrest an alleged arms smuggler, police said.
Agra police conducted a raid last night at Hathiya village to nab an accused whose name cropped up in during an investigation carried out in an arms smuggling case, R K S Rathore, Senior Superintendent of police said, adding that the SOG team also had members of Barsana Police.
Just as the team was about to leave after nabbing the accused, his allies opened fire, injuring a policeman of the SOG critically, he said.
The policeman suffered bullet injuries on the neck and has been referred to Agra for treatment, he said.
Rathore said that the police fired in response to their attack.
A villager was killed in the crossfire. However, it is not yet clear whether he was hit by a bullet fired by the police or by the villagers, he added.
The situation is tense but under control, Rathore said, adding that he himself is about to reach the village with heavy deployment of police to take stock of the situation there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter