Villagers clash with police in Noida extension
Lucknow: Angry villagers in Haibatpur in Noida extension on Monday fought a pitched battle with the police and Noida Development Authority workers when an anti-encroachment squad tried to demolish some illegal shops.
Several policemen were injured as the irate mob set a shop on fire and vandalised the site office of a builder. They also blocked traffic by setting tyres on fire, police said.
Noida Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen Kumar told a news agency that the villagers pelted stones at the police force and attacked workers at a construction site soon after the anti-encroachment drive commenced.
A company of the Provincial Armed Constabulary was deployed to contain any further violence.
The rioting mob was contained after two hours, the anti-encroachment drive was withdrawn due to heavy resistance. The situation is tense but under control, the district police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter