Villagers clash with police in Noida extension
Lucknow: Angry villagers in Haibatpur in Noida extension on Monday fought a pitched battle with the police and Noida Development Authority workers when an anti-encroachment squad tried to demolish some illegal shops.
Several policemen were injured as the irate mob set a shop on fire and vandalised the site office of a builder. They also blocked traffic by setting tyres on fire, police said.
Noida Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen Kumar told a news agency that the villagers pelted stones at the police force and attacked workers at a construction site soon after the anti-encroachment drive commenced.
A company of the Provincial Armed Constabulary was deployed to contain any further violence.
The rioting mob was contained after two hours, the anti-encroachment drive was withdrawn due to heavy resistance. The situation is tense but under control, the district police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love