Villagers clash with police in Noida extension
Lucknow: Angry villagers in Haibatpur in Noida extension on Monday fought a pitched battle with the police and Noida Development Authority workers when an anti-encroachment squad tried to demolish some illegal shops.
Several policemen were injured as the irate mob set a shop on fire and vandalised the site office of a builder. They also blocked traffic by setting tyres on fire, police said.
Noida Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen Kumar told a news agency that the villagers pelted stones at the police force and attacked workers at a construction site soon after the anti-encroachment drive commenced.
A company of the Provincial Armed Constabulary was deployed to contain any further violence.
The rioting mob was contained after two hours, the anti-encroachment drive was withdrawn due to heavy resistance. The situation is tense but under control, the district police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets