Villagers clash with police in Noida extension
Lucknow: Angry villagers in Haibatpur in Noida extension on Monday fought a pitched battle with the police and Noida Development Authority workers when an anti-encroachment squad tried to demolish some illegal shops.
Several policemen were injured as the irate mob set a shop on fire and vandalised the site office of a builder. They also blocked traffic by setting tyres on fire, police said.
Noida Senior Superintendent of Police Praveen Kumar told a news agency that the villagers pelted stones at the police force and attacked workers at a construction site soon after the anti-encroachment drive commenced.
A company of the Provincial Armed Constabulary was deployed to contain any further violence.
The rioting mob was contained after two hours, the anti-encroachment drive was withdrawn due to heavy resistance. The situation is tense but under control, the district police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler