Violence after bus mows down 8-year-old
Gorakhpur: A minor boy was mowed down by a state-owned bus here on Monday, sparking violence and tension as protestors clashed with police, damaged several vehicles and blockaded roads, officials said.
The eight-year-old boy was mowed down by the speeding Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation bus in Chauri Chaura town. The bus driver absconded after the accident.
Demanding the driver`s arrest, the protestors damaged the bus and tried to set it on fire. Indulging in heavy brick-batting, the protestors also targeted public property and a number of private vehicles along the Gorakhpur-Deoria route.
The situation was brought under control only after the intervention of senior police and district administration officials, who rushed to the spot and assured the protesters that the driver would be arrested within 24 hours.
"The protest was violent, but no one was seriously injured. The situation is still tense, but under control," police inspector CP Singh told reporters in Gorakhpur, 300 km from Lucknow.
He said that more security has been deployed and senior police officials are camping in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician