Violence after bus mows down 8-year-old
Gorakhpur: A minor boy was mowed down by a state-owned bus here on Monday, sparking violence and tension as protestors clashed with police, damaged several vehicles and blockaded roads, officials said.
The eight-year-old boy was mowed down by the speeding Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation bus in Chauri Chaura town. The bus driver absconded after the accident.
Demanding the driver`s arrest, the protestors damaged the bus and tried to set it on fire. Indulging in heavy brick-batting, the protestors also targeted public property and a number of private vehicles along the Gorakhpur-Deoria route.
The situation was brought under control only after the intervention of senior police and district administration officials, who rushed to the spot and assured the protesters that the driver would be arrested within 24 hours.
"The protest was violent, but no one was seriously injured. The situation is still tense, but under control," police inspector CP Singh told reporters in Gorakhpur, 300 km from Lucknow.
He said that more security has been deployed and senior police officials are camping in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi