Violence after bus mows down 8-year-old
Gorakhpur: A minor boy was mowed down by a state-owned bus here on Monday, sparking violence and tension as protestors clashed with police, damaged several vehicles and blockaded roads, officials said.
The eight-year-old boy was mowed down by the speeding Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation bus in Chauri Chaura town. The bus driver absconded after the accident.
Demanding the driver`s arrest, the protestors damaged the bus and tried to set it on fire. Indulging in heavy brick-batting, the protestors also targeted public property and a number of private vehicles along the Gorakhpur-Deoria route.
The situation was brought under control only after the intervention of senior police and district administration officials, who rushed to the spot and assured the protesters that the driver would be arrested within 24 hours.
"The protest was violent, but no one was seriously injured. The situation is still tense, but under control," police inspector CP Singh told reporters in Gorakhpur, 300 km from Lucknow.
He said that more security has been deployed and senior police officials are camping in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued