Violence after bus mows down 8-year-old
Gorakhpur: A minor boy was mowed down by a state-owned bus here on Monday, sparking violence and tension as protestors clashed with police, damaged several vehicles and blockaded roads, officials said.
The eight-year-old boy was mowed down by the speeding Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation bus in Chauri Chaura town. The bus driver absconded after the accident.
Demanding the driver`s arrest, the protestors damaged the bus and tried to set it on fire. Indulging in heavy brick-batting, the protestors also targeted public property and a number of private vehicles along the Gorakhpur-Deoria route.
The situation was brought under control only after the intervention of senior police and district administration officials, who rushed to the spot and assured the protesters that the driver would be arrested within 24 hours.
"The protest was violent, but no one was seriously injured. The situation is still tense, but under control," police inspector CP Singh told reporters in Gorakhpur, 300 km from Lucknow.
He said that more security has been deployed and senior police officials are camping in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video