Violence at Ghazipur jail over use of cell phones
Varanasi: Violence broke out at Ghazipur
jail in Uttar Pradesh that houses gangster-turned MLA Mukhtar
Ansari when the inmates clashed with policemen deployed there
over the use of cell phones, resulting in injuries to many.
The incident occurred at the jail in Ghazipur, around 80
km from Varanasi, when Deputy jailor Sita Ram along with six
guards went for a routine head-count of inmates in Barrack No
5 and found some of them possessing cell phones.
When Ram objected to their carrying cell phones, the
prisoners attacked him and the guards following which a clash
Following the attack, the jail staff boycotted work for
almost five hours, alleging that "arms, ammunition, liquor and
other objectionable items" were allowed into the jail for the
inmates on payment of money to the jail administration.
They demanded that the prisoners involved in the incident
be shifted to another jail.
Ghazipur District Magistrate Anil Kumar talked to the
staff and the inmates and directed SP L Ravi Kumar to register
an FIR against those involved in the case and institute a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police