Violence during protest, BJP leaders arrested
Lucknow: Five BJP leaders, including legislature party leader Hukum Singh, were arrested in Shamli town as police tried to check the unruly mob staging a protest demanding arrest of gang-rape accused.
Police had to resort to lathi-charge and fire in the air to control the situation as violence broke out during a BJP procession , IG Law and order R K Vishkarma said here.
Police arrested five people and later released them, the IG said.
BJP leaders Hukum Singh and Suresh Rana were sitting on dharna at the Shiv Chowk, from where they walked to the Dhimanpura railway crossing when some mischievous elements among them indulged in arson and set a shop ablaze, he said.
According to sources, a girl was allegedly kidnapped and gang-raped yesterday.
The main accused in the alleged gang-rape incident has been arrested, whereas efforts are underway to nab the four others, the police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31