Violence during protest, BJP leaders arrested
Lucknow: Five BJP leaders, including legislature party leader Hukum Singh, were arrested in Shamli town as police tried to check the unruly mob staging a protest demanding arrest of gang-rape accused.
Police had to resort to lathi-charge and fire in the air to control the situation as violence broke out during a BJP procession , IG Law and order R K Vishkarma said here.
Police arrested five people and later released them, the IG said.
BJP leaders Hukum Singh and Suresh Rana were sitting on dharna at the Shiv Chowk, from where they walked to the Dhimanpura railway crossing when some mischievous elements among them indulged in arson and set a shop ablaze, he said.
According to sources, a girl was allegedly kidnapped and gang-raped yesterday.
The main accused in the alleged gang-rape incident has been arrested, whereas efforts are underway to nab the four others, the police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH