Violence during protest, BJP leaders arrested
Lucknow: Five BJP leaders, including legislature party leader Hukum Singh, were arrested in Shamli town as police tried to check the unruly mob staging a protest demanding arrest of gang-rape accused.
Police had to resort to lathi-charge and fire in the air to control the situation as violence broke out during a BJP procession , IG Law and order R K Vishkarma said here.
Police arrested five people and later released them, the IG said.
BJP leaders Hukum Singh and Suresh Rana were sitting on dharna at the Shiv Chowk, from where they walked to the Dhimanpura railway crossing when some mischievous elements among them indulged in arson and set a shop ablaze, he said.
According to sources, a girl was allegedly kidnapped and gang-raped yesterday.
The main accused in the alleged gang-rape incident has been arrested, whereas efforts are underway to nab the four others, the police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional