Want Prez rule in UP over Dalit memorials` misuse`
Lucknow: Upset over UP government`s decision to allow Dalit memorials constructed during previous Mayawati regime to be used for cultural functions, BSP Monday demanded imposition of President`s rule in the state.
A delegation of BSP leaders met Governor B L Joshi and handed him a memorandum, stating that the move was in violation of High Court and Supreme Court orders.
"The use of land in Dalit memorials for marriage and other events is in violation of High Court and Supreme Court`s order, which means state government is deliberately doing it.
"It has no right to continue and we have demanded from the Governor to impose President`s rule in the state," BSP National General Secretary Satish Chandra Mishra told reporters.
BSP leader Swami Prasad Maurya said his party would start an agitation and come out on the streets if the decision was not withdrawn.
The Samajwadi Party government had recently allowed holding marriage ceremonies and other events at various Dalit memorials in the state, claiming that the land there was "unutilised".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...