Water in three rivers in UP recedes
Lucknow: With almost no rainfall in the past 24 hours, all the major rivers including the Sharda and Ghaghra have registered a downward tread, though they are still flowing above the danger mark at a couple of places.
River Ganga was rising all along its route from Fatehgarh to Ballia, Central water commission sources said. Irrigation department officials in Fatehgarh said that though there has been a decrease in the release of water in the barrages since yesterday, the water released earlier reaching here was leading to rise in water level in the Ganga creating a flood like situation.
Roads in the trans-Ganga area were submerged creating problems for the locals. The district administration in Fatehgarh has speeded up the flood relief works and has also asked the food and civil supplies department to prepare their workplan.
Sharda river which continued to flow above the red mark at Palia Kalan has registered a downward tread in Shardanagar.
River Ghaghra, still flowing above the danger mark at Elgin Bridge (Barabanki) was receding and at Ayodhya and Turtipar, where it has crossed the red mark, was static, sources added.
The Uttar Pradesh Roadways Corporation has started 300 special buses from Haridwar for lifting flood affected people from Uttarakhand, spokesman N P Singh said, adding that these buses are providing free travel to victims to make them reach their destinations.
Senior officers of the corporation have also reached Haridwar to supervise relief operations, Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Wimbledon: World No. 223 dumps out Ana Ivanovic in first round
- Wimbledon 2016: Novak Djokovic begins title defence with a solid victory
- Shiva Thapa, Manoj Kumar can win gold at Rio Olympics: Vikas Krishan
- Rajinikanth doing well, in US for medical test: Brother
- Pakistan admits stalling India's NSG bid; says will not back down from 'principled stand' on Kashmir