West UP Bench issue: Clash between lawyers, police
Meerut: A clash broke out on Wednesday between police and advocates, who were staging a protest in favour of their demand for setting up a bench of Allahabad High Court in western Uttar Pradesh, near the court premises here.
After an argument between District Magistrate Navdeep Rinwa and advocates, police resorted to cane charge to disperse the lawyers, sources said.
Following the incident, some of the lawyers were detained and later set free, according to sources.
The lawyers met Commissioner Manjit Singh and demanded an action against the district magistrate.
The lawyers announced a work boycott till Friday.
Secretary of Meerut Bar Association Mukesh Walia said that if an action was not taken against the DM till Friday, the various organisations representing the lawyers would meet on Saturday to discuss the further strategies on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble