West UP Bench issue: Clash between lawyers, police
Meerut: A clash broke out on Wednesday between police and advocates, who were staging a protest in favour of their demand for setting up a bench of Allahabad High Court in western Uttar Pradesh, near the court premises here.
After an argument between District Magistrate Navdeep Rinwa and advocates, police resorted to cane charge to disperse the lawyers, sources said.
Following the incident, some of the lawyers were detained and later set free, according to sources.
The lawyers met Commissioner Manjit Singh and demanded an action against the district magistrate.
The lawyers announced a work boycott till Friday.
Secretary of Meerut Bar Association Mukesh Walia said that if an action was not taken against the DM till Friday, the various organisations representing the lawyers would meet on Saturday to discuss the further strategies on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers