West UP Bench issue: Clash between lawyers, police
Meerut: A clash broke out on Wednesday between police and advocates, who were staging a protest in favour of their demand for setting up a bench of Allahabad High Court in western Uttar Pradesh, near the court premises here.
After an argument between District Magistrate Navdeep Rinwa and advocates, police resorted to cane charge to disperse the lawyers, sources said.
Following the incident, some of the lawyers were detained and later set free, according to sources.
The lawyers met Commissioner Manjit Singh and demanded an action against the district magistrate.
The lawyers announced a work boycott till Friday.
Secretary of Meerut Bar Association Mukesh Walia said that if an action was not taken against the DM till Friday, the various organisations representing the lawyers would meet on Saturday to discuss the further strategies on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking! Indian man washes vegetables in sewer water (Watch video)
- Olympics 2016: Usain Bolt arrives in Rio for shot at immortality
- Man detained from Dubai-Kozhikode IndiGo flight did not raise ISIS slogans
- Armed with a brush, a dalit fights paralysis with miniature art
- Menopause, insomnia may accelerate ageing