What is wrong if Azam is frisked, asks UP minister
Bulandshahr: Taking a different stand from his party, Uttar Pradesh minister Devender Gupta on Saturday said there was nothing wrong if his cabinet colleague Azam Khan was frisked at a US airport.
The UP minister for solar energy said that even former President APJ Abdul Kalam was frisked last year and bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan was detained for over two hours at a New York airport.
"Who is Azam in front of them," asked Gupta. He was here to attend a meeting of traders this afternoon.
Frisking at airports was a practice exercised to ensure safety in the US, and as per their rules, Azam was rightly subjected to it, he said.
Azam, a senior leader of the ruling SP in UP and also the Urban Development minister of the state, was detained for about 10 minutes at the Boston airport for "further questioning" after he landed in a scheduled British Airways flight from India.
SP today said the detention Azam at a US airport was fallout of a "weak" foreign policy of the country.
"The US should be told that such discriminatory actions would henceforth not be tolerated," a spokesman of the party said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Uttarakhand turns to trekking to boost tourist footfalls
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Fundamental question is 'who took the bribe', stresses Manohar Parrikar
- Kanhaiya Kumar is in Patna - know why
- WATCH: RPS vs GL - When Dwayne Bravo tried to 'intimidate' Mahendra Singh Dhoni during Match 25
- Fourteen killed in Nairobi floods and building collapse