What`s wrong in holding marriages at BSP`s memorials, asks UP CM
Lucknow: Defending his government`s decision to use memorials and parks constructed in memory of Dalit icons during the previous Mayawati regime for marriages and cultural events, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday said by holding such programmes the memorials "would only earn name".
"What`s wrong in holding marriages and other pubic events at the memorials...By doing this, these memorials will only earn name...," Yadav told media.
He said the memorials were constructed from public money and the SP had earlier said that it would make utilisation of the space in them.
"Ashtdhatu trees and animals were installed in these parks...How else can they be put to better use than this...," he added.
The state government had recently decided to rent out the space in memorials for marriages and public events inviting ire of BSP, which said it is an insult to Dalit icons on whose name the memorials had been constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea