What`s wrong in holding marriages at BSP`s memorials, asks UP CM
Lucknow: Defending his government`s decision to use memorials and parks constructed in memory of Dalit icons during the previous Mayawati regime for marriages and cultural events, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday said by holding such programmes the memorials "would only earn name".
"What`s wrong in holding marriages and other pubic events at the memorials...By doing this, these memorials will only earn name...," Yadav told media.
He said the memorials were constructed from public money and the SP had earlier said that it would make utilisation of the space in them.
"Ashtdhatu trees and animals were installed in these parks...How else can they be put to better use than this...," he added.
The state government had recently decided to rent out the space in memorials for marriages and public events inviting ire of BSP, which said it is an insult to Dalit icons on whose name the memorials had been constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'