What`s wrong in holding marriages at BSP`s memorials, asks UP CM
Lucknow: Defending his government`s decision to use memorials and parks constructed in memory of Dalit icons during the previous Mayawati regime for marriages and cultural events, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Tuesday said by holding such programmes the memorials "would only earn name".
"What`s wrong in holding marriages and other pubic events at the memorials...By doing this, these memorials will only earn name...," Yadav told media.
He said the memorials were constructed from public money and the SP had earlier said that it would make utilisation of the space in them.
"Ashtdhatu trees and animals were installed in these parks...How else can they be put to better use than this...," he added.
The state government had recently decided to rent out the space in memorials for marriages and public events inviting ire of BSP, which said it is an insult to Dalit icons on whose name the memorials had been constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India