`White paper on Ganga to be submitted to PM`
Lucknow: A white paper on Ganga and Yamuna will be submitted to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by Rishikesh-based Parmarth Niketan.
"We will release a white paper on the status of Ganga and Yamuna rivers in the next 15 days and it will be submitted to the Prime Minister," Swami Chidanand Saraswati Muniji, the chairman of the Parmarth Niketan told media on Monday.
Besides the white paper, a documentary on the two rivers will also be given to the Prime Minister, he said.
Swami Chidanand said that though thousands of crores of rupees had been spent on Ganga Action Plan, the campaign had failed to meet its objective.
Calling the government to include people from various fields in the campaign, he said "If the government launches the campaign by associating all sections of the society there would be no shortage of funds and manpower."
He said that MLAs and MPs from Uttar Pradesh should also come forward to ensure that the rivers remain clean.
Pointing that Chemical-based agriculture is adding to the pollution in the river Ganga, he demanded that polluting Ganga should be declared as a crime and only organic farming should be allowed within one kilometre periphery of the river.
He said that issues related to Ganga and its subsidiaries could be sorted out only by dialogue and not by dispute. "Action and not anshan is required," he said.
Asking Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to support the drive to save the rivers, he said, "He is young, well informed on environment and dynamic. He should start a cleaning drive for all the rivers in the state by associating youths."
Swami Chidanand said that he would soon meet Yadav and would discuss environmental development of areas around Ganga and Yamuna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!