Will act as a bridge between UP, Centre: Ram Naik
Mumbai: Describing his appointment as the Governor of Uttar Pradesh as a "turning point" in his social and political life, senior BJP leader Ram Naik on Monday said that he would try to serve as a bridge between the state and the Central governments while discharging the gubernatorial responsibility.
"I began working with Jan Sangh in the 60s and left job with a private company to work for the organisation in 1969," Naik told reporters at state BJP office here this evening.
Naik will take over after B L Joshi, perceived to be a close confidant of Gandhi family, was asked to tender his resignation. Joshi was the first Governor who tendered his resignation after the Modi Government came to power on June 17 this year.
Naik, a former Union minister and also a three-term MLA and five-term MP, said there are several issues regarding Uttar Pradesh and it would be a challenging task to work as Governor there. "I will work as a bridge between the state and Central governments," he added.
Asked if he would try to dislodge the incumbent state government in UP, Naik said, "It is not in my nature. There are 27 universities in UP and as Chancellor I will try to improve education."
Emphasising that UP and Maharashtra shared old ties, Naik said that the priest who coronated Shivaji Maharaj was from the northern state.
The veteran BJP leader today met election commission officials here as part of the poll panel`s preparations for upcoming Assembly polls.
"CEC sampath discussed the forthcoming Maharashtra Assembly polls with representatives of political parties in Mumbai today," he said.
"We demanded that the EC should look into the issue of missing voters from the electoral rolls during recent Lok Sabha polls. We also demanded that EC should distribute voters slips at homes as soon as elections are declared and they have accepted this demand," Naik said.
Naik said that the poll panel has also agreed to make necessary improvements in postal ballot system so that more people can vote through this process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof