Will not allow FDI implementation in UP: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Maintaining opposition to FDI in retail sector, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Saturday said his government will not allow its implementation in the state.
He also said that the decision on continuing its support to the UPA government after the hike in diesel price and FDI rests with the party`s national leadership.
"Samajwadi Party`s view is very clear on the FDI issue and it will not implement it in Uttar Pradesh," Yadav told reporters here.
Denying that there was a proposal to open such stores in the state, he said, "But the question is, what will happen to the stores already opened. BSP government implemented it (FDI in retail) and opened new stores. But Samajwadi Party is not in favour of opening new stores."
Asked whether people came to meet him with these proposals, he said those were only courtesy calls from investors.
"Whoever came to meet, it was just a courtesy call. They came just to congratulate us. As far as business is concerned, they said they want to bring in investment and want government cooperation for this," Yadav said.
On whether Samajwadi Party is planning to take its support back from the UPA government on the issue of hike in diesel price and FDI, he said any such decision rests with the party`s nation leadership.
"Only the National President will decide how the support will continue. It has been asked several times but Samajwadi Party will always provide support to counter communal powers in the country," he said.
Yadav said that his party will support a proposal for FDI in the field of electricity and roads.
"If they want to bring FDI, we want them to bring it in the fields of electricity and roads. But if it is introduced in retail sector, what will happen to our small shop owners," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional