Will quit politics if Bukhari wins poll: Azam Khan
Lucknow: Firing a fresh salvo, Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan on Monday challenged the Shahi Imam of Delhi Jama Masjid to contest and win election of Mayor from Moradabad.
Khan said if Syed Ahmad Bukhari did not forfeit his deposits he will take retirement from active politics.
"I challenge Bukhari to contest election for the post of Mayor from Moradabad and win it. If he did not forfeit his deposits, I will leave the politics," Khan told reporters
here in reply to a question here.
Coming down heavily on Bukhari, Khan today said, "Unka kaam namaaz padhana hai, wahi karein" (His work is to lead prayers, and he should do only that).
"Hame sabi ki haisiyat ke bare me pata hai" (I am aware of the status of everyone), Khan added.
The war of words between the SP leader and the cleric started after Bukhari rejected SP`s offer of fielding his son-in-law to the state Legislative Council, asking for three seats for the Muslim community.
Bukhari`s son-in-law Umer Ali Khan was named party candidate for Legislative Council.
Khan has said that the cleric has no standing among Muslims, and religious leaders should not enter politics.
On the issue of giving seat of council to the kin of Bukhari, the SP leader had said, "Religious leaders should not be given political gifts."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?