With 21 cr people don`t expect good law and order in UP: Mulayam
Lucknow: In remarks that are likely to trigger a row, SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on Friday said how can there be a good law and order in Uttar Pradesh when its population is more than 21 crore.
When reporters asked the party chief about law and order problems in UP during a press conference here, Yadav attempted to draw a parallel between the state and Delhi.
He said,"don`t compare UP with Delhi. UP is ten times larger than the national capital. But in comparison to UP, Delhi has got ten times more crime."
"How can you expect a better law and order in a state with 21 crore population," Yadav said.
His comments have come at a time when the state government is facing severe criticism for its "lacklustre" approach in handling Muzzafarnagar riots and its aftermath.
On February 5, the government told Rajya Sabha that a maximum of 247 communal violence-related incidents, which claimed 77 lives, took place in Uttar Pradesh in 2013.
UP also recorded a maximum of 360 people being injured in these incidents during 2013.
The state also registered a maximum of 118 communal incidents during 2012 in which 39 people were killed and 500 were injured.
The information was provided by Minister of State for Home R P N Singh in a written reply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt