Withdraw cases against `innocent` farmers: Mayawati
Lucknow: Hours after announcing a new land
acquisition policy, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati
on Thursday directed officials to examine cases lodged against
farmers within a week and withdraw those against the innocent.
The Chief Minister, who held a farmers` panchayat here
with representatives from all over the state, also assured the
farmers of Bhatta-Parsaul that her government would pay them
compensation for the damage caused during the recent
She also asked the district officials to organise
meetings on 22nd of every month to resolve the problems faced
by farmers in their districts, an official spokesman said
giving the details of today`s panchayat.
Asserting that her government was committed to the
welfare of farmers, Mayawati said that responsibility would be
fixed on lax officials and stern action would be taken against
She appealed to the farmers to go to Delhi and put
pressure on the central government for formulating a national
policy on land acquisition.
The Chief Minister alleged that the casteist forces were
preventing farmers from knowing the welfare schemes for them.
Directing the officials to take steps to ensure that
farmers get the right price for their produce, Mayawati said
that from July 1, 14 hours of power supply would be ensured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video