Withdraw cases against `innocent` farmers: Mayawati
Lucknow: Hours after announcing a new land
acquisition policy, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati
on Thursday directed officials to examine cases lodged against
farmers within a week and withdraw those against the innocent.
The Chief Minister, who held a farmers` panchayat here
with representatives from all over the state, also assured the
farmers of Bhatta-Parsaul that her government would pay them
compensation for the damage caused during the recent
She also asked the district officials to organise
meetings on 22nd of every month to resolve the problems faced
by farmers in their districts, an official spokesman said
giving the details of today`s panchayat.
Asserting that her government was committed to the
welfare of farmers, Mayawati said that responsibility would be
fixed on lax officials and stern action would be taken against
She appealed to the farmers to go to Delhi and put
pressure on the central government for formulating a national
policy on land acquisition.
The Chief Minister alleged that the casteist forces were
preventing farmers from knowing the welfare schemes for them.
Directing the officials to take steps to ensure that
farmers get the right price for their produce, Mayawati said
that from July 1, 14 hours of power supply would be ensured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport