Woman burnt alive over dowry demand in UP
Meerut: A woman was allegedly burnt alive by her in-laws over dowry demands in the Dorala area in Meerut, police said on Wednesday.
The victim was allegedly first beaten up by her in-laws on Monday morning before they poured kerosene on her and set her ablaze, police said.
She was then admitted to a private hospital where she died on Monday night, they said.
The alleged dowry amount sought by the victim`s in-laws was Rs 8 lakh, it is learnt.
A cousin of the victim`s has registered a complaint of dowry death against the husband, father-in-law and mother-in-law of the victim. The victim has a two-month-old girl with her husband, police said.
No arrests have been made in the case yet, police said, adding that the victim`s body has been handed over to her family members following a post-mortem.
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind