Woman, daughter jump off moving truck in UP, die
Lucknow: A mother and her three-year-old daughter were killed in Uttar Pradesh late Friday after they jumped off a speeding truck while resisting a sexual assault by the driver, police said on Saturday.
The incident took place near the Chitaura toll plaza in Fatehpur, 120 km from here, after Raj Kumari, 30, along with son Deepak, daughter Meena and husband Rakesh hitched a ride in a truck.
After travelling for some distance, the driver stopped the truck and asked Rakesh to get some food from a road-side eatery. As the unsuspecting husband went out, the driver sped off and tried to sexually assault the woman.
While trying to resist the driver, the woman leapt out along with her daughter after throwing her son off the moving truck.
While the woman died on the spot, the daughter died at a medical facility. Her minor son, who has been seriously injured, narrated the incident to police. Locals tried to chase the truck but it sped away.
"We are trying to establish the identity of the truck driver with the help of CCTV camera footage at the toll plaza," a police official told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa