Woman found hanging in UP village, family cries rape
Lucknow: A middle-aged woman was Wednesday found hanging in a Bahraich village, police said. Though the family alleged rape and subsequent murder, a police officer said the post-mortem report has inferred nothing like this.
The incident took place in Loniyapurwa village, district police chief Happy Guptan told IANS.
"There is no evidence of any sexual assault though the family has alleged the deceased was raped and then hung from the tree," Guptan added.
An FIR has been registered and further probe is on as the kin of the deceased have named five people in their complaint.
Police officials claim the family hanged her on the tree to draw media attention.
The incident comes after the brutal gang rape and murder of two minors in Badaun a fortnight back.
Crimes against women in the state have witnessed a spurt in recent days, leading to the opposition demand for the resignation of the Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party government.
Following many such incidents, the state government recently effected a major bureaucratic reshuffle, transferring over 100 police and administrative officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead