Woman IPS officer dragged on road by subordinates
Bareilly: In a shocking case, a woman police officer was dragged on the road by her
subordinates in a vehicle after she objected to extortion by them in the name of traffic checking.
Superintendent of Police (Traffic) Kalpana Saxena, who is in hospital with a fractured hand and injuries on her head, said she had received information from an Army jawan last evening that some traffic constables were demanding bribes from truckers near the Jat regimental centre here.
"I rushed to the area along with the gunner and driver in a private car to catch them red handed. When I reached the area, I saw them extorting bribes from the constables. The
constables recognised me and tried to flee and crush me under their police vehicle," the 1990 batch officer of the state`s Provincial Police Service said.
"I caught hold of the neck of the driver driving the vehicle and it dragged me for more than an kilometre in full public view. Finally, they threw me on the road," Saxena said.
Police said one of the accused has been arrested and hunt is on to nab the two others.
They said that last evening Saxena got information that some constables were extorting money from the truck drivers after which she reached the spot with her driver and
After reaching the spot, when Saxena questioned the three constables present on the spot, they refused any extortion bid on which the officer asked her staff to check their pockets.
Sensing trouble, the three constables attacked Saxena and later attempted to flee.
While they were fleeing, Saxena caught hold of the collar of one the constables, but instead of stopping the vehicle, the policemen sped away dragging the officer.
DIG NK Srivastav said all the three constables have been suspended and FIR has been lodged at the Cantt police station in this regard.
"One of the accused Manoj Kumar had been arrested and efforts were being made to nab two others," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says