Woman killed for dowry in UP’s Ballia
Ballia: A 21-year-old newly-married woman was allegedly killed for dowry in Bairia area here, police said on Wednesday.
Villagers found Geeta -- who got married to Sonu Thakur in February this year -- hanging from the ceiling at her in-laws` house in Nawka tola village on July 7, they said.
After the villagers left, the in-laws tried to burn the body but later buried it in haste and are on the run, police said.
On the complaint of Geeta`s father Harishanker, police lodged an FIR against four persons, including her husband yesterday, police said.
The victim`s body was recovered from a pit in the village, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal