Woman killed for dowry in UP’s Ballia
Ballia: A 21-year-old newly-married woman was allegedly killed for dowry in Bairia area here, police said on Wednesday.
Villagers found Geeta -- who got married to Sonu Thakur in February this year -- hanging from the ceiling at her in-laws` house in Nawka tola village on July 7, they said.
After the villagers left, the in-laws tried to burn the body but later buried it in haste and are on the run, police said.
On the complaint of Geeta`s father Harishanker, police lodged an FIR against four persons, including her husband yesterday, police said.
The victim`s body was recovered from a pit in the village, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city