Woman killed for dowry in UP’s Ballia
Ballia: A 21-year-old newly-married woman was allegedly killed for dowry in Bairia area here, police said on Wednesday.
Villagers found Geeta -- who got married to Sonu Thakur in February this year -- hanging from the ceiling at her in-laws` house in Nawka tola village on July 7, they said.
After the villagers left, the in-laws tried to burn the body but later buried it in haste and are on the run, police said.
On the complaint of Geeta`s father Harishanker, police lodged an FIR against four persons, including her husband yesterday, police said.
The victim`s body was recovered from a pit in the village, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'